With the heat of summer already here, it’s rather fitting that National Hydration Day is this Saturday, June 23rd. As we all know, water makes up 50-60% of the body’s composition, which is why staying hydrated is key for staying healthy, especially as summer months heat up.
National Hydration Day was established in 2016 by SafeTGard Corporation in honor of football Coach Victor Hawkins, who invented a mouthguard that releases electrolytes to keep players hydrated during games and practices. This day was founded to honor Coach Hawkins’ contributions to athlete health, safety and success and to increase awareness of the importance of proper hydration.
A few quick facts about hydration… did you know…
- Water is crucial for food digestion and metabolization as well as for the proper functioning of all organs in your body.
- Different parts of your body have different water contents. For example, blood is about 93% water, muscle is about 73% water, skin is about 65% water, and body fat is about 10% water.
- Loss of water and dehydration can lead to symptoms such as reduced cognitive function, headaches, constipation and fatigue.
- Dehydration can also lower immune system functioning causing increases in histamine production, which can trigger allergies and asthma.
- Drinking plain water is not the only way you can hydrate… other beverages, foods, and even topically applied skincare products have high quantities of water and can hydrate your skin and body.
- For skin, proper hydration helps prevent fine lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- It can also help clear the skin of toxins and fight over-production of oil and in turn treat and prevent acne, blemishes and breakouts.
- 60-80% of all cosmetic and skincare product formulas are made up of water, BUT skin and water (when applied topically) simply don’t mix! In order to maintain its barrier functions and protect our internal organs from the environment, our skin is constantly producing and secreting oils. And yes, water and oil don’t mix! So, it’s really difficult to find topically applied products that actually hydrate the skin with water, the majority of the product… until now! Read on (#2 below) to learn more about how you can properly hydrate your skin with NEW water technology.
So YES, hydration is SO IMPORTANT for overall body health and wellness. Don’t be caught dehydrated this National Hydration Day! Here are 5 ways to observe and spread awareness of this important day…
1. Sip on a Delicious Water Mocktail
Tired of sipping on plain ol’ water? Spice things up with a fun, new mocktail creation! There are so many delicious and healthy ingredients that you can add to your water to boost flavor and keep things interesting. Here are some ideas…
- Fruit — berries, watermelon, pineapple, cucumber, lemon, lime, pears, oranges, grapefruits, pomegranate seeds… the possibilities are endless!
- Herbs — mint, lavender, basil, rosemary
- Teas — green, hibiscus, passion fruit, or any other tea flavor that you like
- Mix things up! Here are some good combos… cucumber & basil, lemon & lavender, pomegranate & lime, lemon & mint, strawberry & mint, grapefruit & rosemary, blackberry & mint, peach & ginger
- Or try sparkling water… there are so many different flavors on the market that you’ll never get bored!
Make sure you’re not adding anything artificial or too sugary, which could defeat your healthy and hydrating purpose.
2. Buy Your Skin a Drink!
As the largest organ in/on your body, it is crucial to keep your skin hydrated too! Lucky for you, that’s become easier than ever these days! Apriori Beauty’s newest skincare innovation, Celloxylin® Moisture Extreme, Hydrating Mask, is the first product to market with the patented HydrO18™ Activated Water™. This game-changing technology solves the skin/water hydration dilemma. Replacing regular water in the formula, this “Activated Water™” is treated with plant-based ingredients to more closely mimic an oil. It still mixes the other ingredients in the product together while maintaining and delivering the hydrating benefits of water directly into the skin!
It has been clinically proven to hydrate skin up to 41% more than regular water, and for a duration of 8 hours. For the first time ever, this Hydrating Mask is made up of the highest percentage of ingredients actually working to improve skin’s hydration and health!
3. Boost Awareness
Dehydration is something that everybody suffers from at some point in their life. But, not everybody may know the signs, symptoms or severity of the issue let alone ways they can address it. What better day than National Hydration Day to let them know?! Let people know what you’re doing to observe the day by sharing on social media! Be sure to use #NationalHydrationDay to be looped in to the greater online conversation too!
4. Invest in a Fun Water Bottle
If you have water readily available to you throughout the day, you’ll be more likely to drink it. Especially if its kept cold (or at whatever temperature you prefer) or maintained the way you like it. There are so many cute and inexpensive water bottles on the market these days that not only keep your water cool, but also look super cute as an accessory on-the-go! These are some of our favorites!
5. Listen to Your Skin & Body
In the hustle and bustle of a busy schedule, sometimes it’s hard to be attentive and mindful to what your body is trying to tell you. Try, for one day, to really listen to your body in terms of its hydration. Keep a small notebook or journal in your bag and take notes about what your body is telling you. Key things to note… are your lips chapped? Is your skin dry? If so, where? Is your urine dark or light yellow? Are you feeling tired? If so, at what times of the day? Answering these types of questions and making note of them can help you make key observations on how and when you need to hydrate in order to keep your body and skin happy, healthy and glowing!